Tomato And Basil Risotto Recipe
- PREP TIME10 minutes
- COOK TIME90 minutes
- Dishes: Risotto
- Ingredients: Cheese, Rice, Tomato, Garlic, Basil, Onion, Olive Oil, Black Pepper, Salt, Butter, Chicken Broth
- Meal Ideas: Classic Cooking, Healthy Cooking, Traditional Cooking
- Cooking Method: Sauteing, Baking, Simmering, Blender
- Courses: Appetizers
- Cooking Styles: Make-Ahead Meals, Meals For Two, Homemade, Light & Tasty
- Holidays: Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Valentines Day, New Year, 4th Of July
- Seasons: Summer, Fall, Winter
- Occasions: Dinner Party, Everyday, Birthday Party
- 3/4 cup medium grain rice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 medium tomatoes (plum tomatoes preferred), cut in half lengthwise
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped, divided
- 3-3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Tomato And Basil Risotto directions
Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
In a blender, mix 1 garlic clove, 1/4 cup basil and 1/4 cup olive oil and puree.
In a glass baking dish, place the tomatoes skin side down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle the basil mixture over the top and bake on middle rack for 50-60 minutes.
An hour into the roasting time, start the risotto. Heat the broth in a medium saucepan and simmer on low.
In a large, heavy skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté shallot and garlic in oil until tender. Add the rice and stir to coat. Add 1 cup of broth and stir until the liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 cup of broth and cook again until the liquid absorbed, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
Peel the tomatoes in the dish. Discard the skins and crush the tomatoes in the dish with the juices (and oil). Add to the rice, continue stirring and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Add more broth if necessary until the rice is almost tender and creamy. You might not use all of the broth. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese. Add salt and pepper as needed.
More Risotto Recipes to Explore
Ratings & Reviews for Tomato And Basil Risotto
Tell us what you think of this recipe.
Did you modify it? Would you make it again? Rate it today!