Risotto Balls Recipe
- PREP TIME15-20 minutes
- COOK TIME45 minutes
- Dishes: Risotto
- Ingredients: Cheese, Rice, Tomato, Garlic, Onion, Olive Oil, Black Pepper, Salt, Bread Crumbs, Tomato Paste, Vegetable Oil, Vegetable Broth, Egg White, Egg Yolk, Mozzarella Cheese
- Meal Ideas: Holiday Cooking, Vegetarian Cooking, Traditional Cooking
- Cooking Method: Frying, Sauteing, Simmering
- Courses: Appetizers, Lunch
- Cooking Styles: Make-Ahead Meals, Meals For Two, Homemade
- Holidays: Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Valentines Day, New Year, 4th Of July
- Seasons: All Seasons
- Occasions: Dinner Party, Everyday, Picnic
- 1 cup medium grain or arborio rice
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thin
- 1 1/2-2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2-2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 oz.(56g.) Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped (no need to seed and skin)
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Risotto Balls directions
Warm the broth in a saucepan and simmer on low.
In a skillet, heat half of oil and sauté onion until tender. Add the rice to coat. Slowly add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat this step until the rice is tender and creamy, about 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomato paste, cheese and egg yolks. Spread the risotto on cooking sheet to cool. Whisk the egg whites in a small bowl. Pour the breadcrumbs onto a plate. Wet your hands. Using about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the risotto, form into balls. Press some mozzarella into the center of each ball and form the ball again. Dip in the egg whites before covering with breadcrumbs. Refrigerate for one hour.
For the sauce, heat remaining olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the garlic until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Season with salt.
In a saucepan, heat the vegetable oil for frying the risotto balls. Oil should be very hot. Roll the risotto balls again in the breadcrumbs before submerging in the hot oil. Cook the risotto balls until golden, about 2 minutes each. Transfer to paper towel to soak up extra oil. Serve the risotto balls on a warm plate and ladle the tomato sauce on top.
More Risotto Recipes to Explore
Ratings & Reviews for Risotto Balls
Tell us what you think of this recipe.
Did you modify it? Would you make it again? Rate it today!