Pearl Barley Risotto Recipe
- PREP TIME10 minutes
- COOK TIME60 miniutes
- Dishes: Risotto
- Ingredients: Onion, Olive Oil, Black Pepper, Salt, Butter, Chicken Broth, Shitake Mushrooms, Parmesan Cheese, Barley
- Meal Ideas: Healthy Cooking, Traditional Cooking
- Cooking Method: Sauteing, Simmering
- Courses: Main Course, Lunch
- Cooking Styles: Make-Ahead Meals, Meals For Two
- Holidays: New Year, 4th Of July
- Seasons: Summer, Winter
- Occasions: Dinner Party, Everyday, Birthday Party
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 10 oz.(280g.) shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2-3 cups chicken broth
- 2 small onions, minced and divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Pearl Barley Risotto directions
Heat chicken broth in cooking pot and simmer on low.
Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Add half of onion and sauté until tender. Add mushrooms, cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Uncover and turn up the flame to medium. Cook until the liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are tender. Season with salt to taste.
Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet on medium heat. Add remaining onion and cook until tender. Add the barley and stir to coat.
Add 1/2 cup of broth and stir. Cook until the liquid has absorbed before adding another 1/2 cup of broth. Continue cooking this way, stirring constantly, until barley is al dente, about 25-30 minutes. Stir in remaining butter and season with salt to taste.
Ladle the risotto onto a large, warm serving dish. Make a well in the middle and fill with the mushrooms. Sprinkle with cheese over the top before serving.
More Risotto Recipes to Explore
Ratings & Reviews for Pearl Barley Risotto
Tell us what you think of this recipe.
Did you modify it? Would you make it again? Rate it today!