Italian Rice Balls Recipe
- PREP TIME20 minutes
- COOK TIME45 minutes
- Dishes: Arancini
- Ingredients: Beef, Egg, Rice, Garlic, Onion, Olive Oil, Black Pepper, Salt, Bread Crumbs, Tomato Paste, White Wine, Flour, Vegetable Oil, Peas, Parmesan Cheese, Mozzarella Cheese
- Meal Ideas: Classic Cooking, Holiday Cooking, Traditional Cooking
- Cooking Method: Boiling, Frying, Sauteing, Simmering
- Courses: Main Course, Dinner, Lunch
- Cooking Styles: Make-Ahead Meals, Potluck, Homemade
- Holidays: Easter, Valentines Day, New Year, 4th Of July
- Seasons: All Seasons
- Occasions: Dinner Party, Wedding, Cocktail Party, Birthday Party, Picnic, Bachelor Party
- 3 cups arborio rice
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 eggs, beaten, divided
- 22 oz. (615 g.) ground beef
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 8 oz. (227g.) mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 2 cups fresh peas
- 2 cups Italian style bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Flour as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Italian Rice Balls directions
In a skillet heat olive oil over medium heat, and sauté garlic and onion until becomes tender. Stir the beef into the mixture, and continue cooking until it becomes browned. Add a ladle of warm water to the tomato paste. Add wine and the tomato paste to the mixture. Add salt to taste, and let the mixture simmer over a low heat for about 2 hours. If it starts to dry out, add warm water as needed.
Simmer peas until tender. Remove the peas from the heat and drain. Let the peas cool and mix with mozarella cheese.
Boil lightly salted water, and add rice. Once the rice has finished cooking, drain it and let the rice cool. Once it has cooled, add parmesan cheese and two beaten eggs into the rice. Beat the remaining eggs and season with salt and pepper.
Form the rice into two hollow hemispheres. Fill the hemispheres with meat and peas. Put the two halves together to form a ball of rice, which should be about 2 inches in diameter. Roll the ball in flour and in the egg. Roll the ball in the breadcrumbs, and fry it in hot vegetable oil. When it is golden brown, remove and let it drain.
Ratings & Reviews for Italian Rice Balls
Tell us what you think of this recipe.
Did you modify it? Would you make it again? Rate it today!