Italian Polenta Casserole Recipe
- PREP TIME20 minutes
- COOK TIME50 minutes
- Dishes: Polenta
- Ingredients: Beef, Tomato, Garlic, Onion, Black Pepper, Salt, Butter, Cornmeal, Parmesan Cheese
- Meal Ideas: Classic Cooking, Holiday Cooking, Traditional Cooking
- Cooking Method: Boiling, Frying, Baking
- Courses: Main Course, Dinner, Lunch
- Cooking Styles: Potluck, Homemade
- Holidays: Easter, Valentines Day, 4th Of July
- Seasons: All Seasons
- Occasions: Dinner Party, Birthday Party, Bachelor Party
- 1 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 12 oz. (336g.) ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
How to make Italian Polenta Casserole directions
Heat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
In a large skillet, melt one tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add beef to the skillet and cook until browned.
Melt the remaining butter in the pan while adding onion. Cook the mixture until the onion begins to soften. Once it has softened, add garlic and cook for an additional two minutes. Return the beef to the pan while stirring the mixture, and cook for an additional minute. Stir in tomatoes and cook the mixture until most of liquid has evaporated. Season the mixture with salt and black pepper.
Boil four cups of water. Whisk the polenta into the water. When the mixture thickens, reduce the temperature to medium heat. Cook the polenta until it becomes tender which will take 10 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Stir in 1/2 a cup of parmesan cheese until it is completely blended. Remove the polenta from the heat source and let it cool for at least 3 minutes.
In an 8 x 8 inch greased dish, evenly distribute the beef mixture. Evenly spread the polenta on top of the beef. Top the polenta with remaining parmesan cheese. Bake the casserole in the preheated oven until it becomes golden brown and bubbly, which should take 30 minutes.
More Polenta Recipes to Explore
Ratings & Reviews for Italian Polenta Casserole
Tell us what you think of this recipe.
Did you modify it? Would you make it again? Rate it today!