Barley Risotto Recipe
- PREP TIME10 minutes
- COOK TIME45 minutes
- Dishes: Risotto
- Ingredients: Carrot, Garlic, Zucchini, Olive Oil, Black Pepper, Salt, Butter, Chicken Stock, Parmesan Cheese
- Meal Ideas: Budget-Friendly Cooking, Vegetarian Cooking
- Cooking Method: Sauteing, Simmering
- Courses: Main Course, Lunch
- Cooking Styles: Make-Ahead Meals, Meals For Two
- Holidays: Easter, 4th Of July
- Seasons: All Seasons
- Occasions: Dinner Party, Everyday
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/6 cup carrot, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 oz.(28g.) parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Barley Risotto directions
In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic in oil until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the barley to coat and increase heat.
Add half of the carrots and zucchini and sauté for 1 minute. Add salt to taste. Slowly add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes.
Season the rest of the vegetables with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Cook uncovered until the liquid has been absorbed and the barley is tender.
Remove from heat. Stir in butter and cheese and serve.
More Risotto Recipes to Explore
Ratings & Reviews for Barley Risotto
Tell us what you think of this recipe.
Did you modify it? Would you make it again? Rate it today!